Business dress trends and styles are constantly changing. As we are several months into 2016, it’s time to think about what business dress trends in colors and styles are going to be popular this year.
Popular colors for 2016 include silver, bronze, purple, green and yellow along with pastels such as light pink, pale turquoise and dove gray. These are often popular for warmer weather seasons and match well together. Pleats are a style that is predicted to come back. Pleats are found in pants, shorts, and skirts and consist of additional fabric that’s folded down the center to add volume and a defined shape. Accessories will consistently be a key factor in your overall presentation. Think watches for both men and women, and layered jewelry for women. Wearable technology comes to us through Apple Watch and Fitbit. For business, though, avoid flashy or bold statements, and opt for more conservative styles.
Other business dress trends include:
- Think of adding diversity to your suit wardrobe through subtle, not bold colors and patterns. Keep in mind though: the style should remain conservative.
- Suits will become less form-fitting, and will allow more room for the body. Pants are longer, although still not cuffed.
- Opt for skipping the tie on your formal business suit. Have your dress shirt open-collared for a more casual yet professional look.
- In keeping your presentation, beards and man-buns may be a thing of the past this year.
- Be on the lookout for woven and plaid fabrics, especially for sport jackets.
- Lean more towards elegant colors such as red or purple.
- Blazers are also coming back in style. Try navy or pure white.
- When choosing dresses, look for wrap, A-line or sheath styles. They can fall at the knee, or slightly longer.
- Be on the lookout for stripes and subtle patterns.
- Not all trends are business appropriate. Avoid open shoulder or other strategic cut-outs. Also stay away from sheer fabrics, lace, scallop edges, bows, and other ultra-feminine details.
In conclusion, there is no one unifying trend for business dress. The focus is on the details, whether it’s a textured fabric, unique buttons or two-tone shoes; it’s the finishing touches that will help you stand out and be unique.